Sunday, April 24, 2011

Byron

After two days of post work skiing at Highland and two big days last Saturday and Sunday I was looking forward to sitting at the desk and going to work last Monday. But after a call the Sunday evening before work, I couldn't pass up another opportunity to go skiing. Instead of going to work I headed south of Anchorage to the Portage Valley with Jeff, Najeeby, Paige and Allen to ski Byron peak. The conditions were perfect and some other friends had laid down a route over the glacier where we wouldn't have to rope up. It was too good to pass up.

The day started off really windy and we were worried that on our easy tour on the ridge to the peak we were going to get hammered by the wind. I was a little bummed that I might not get to skin in my shorts that I wore under my shell pants. But as we hit the ridge the winds died down and I could break out my shorts.

After four days of skiing I wasn't sure I was ready for the steep roll over to ski the face from the top so I opted to ski down the skin track and enter the face a little lower and watch Jeff and Paige ski the slope. Next time. The snow was perfect on the decent. There was enough tension in the snow to keep it from sloughing, but it was still nice, soft powder. All in all it was an amazing day with great people. The last few days had been the perfect send off for winter.

Here's a slide show of some pictures from the trip. Be sure to watch it in 1080p for the highest resolution. If you would like a copy of one of these pictures please contact me and we can work something out.

No comments: